Friday, December 14, 2007

Shim Proposal

Yesterday, was my 2nd day in night shift for phase 2.
Happily walked into the office, checked my mail when I got a big shock from our lovely Mr. CL and Ms. WL.

After two weeks training with Chris & Gary, we (Kah Fei & I) were required to propose the best way(s) to include Shim technology in AppCompat.

(More about Shim in Chris' blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/cjacks/archive/tags/Shims/default.aspx)

Applying Shim fix(es) is not a difficult part, but the process of choosing a Shim fix would definitely kill your brain cells!!!

But, how can we apply the Shim in my team?

My thought:
  1. Always launch the application in SUA (one of the useful tools for ACT) elevatedly (check the Elevated option) <--Steps here-->.
  2. Check whether the application runs "walau eh" operation (eg: writing to locked folder, normally will have Access Denied result in Procmon) <--Screenshot here-->.
  3. Find related module(s) or component(s) eg: DLL(s) that related to the fail operation, as it (they) might be required to be included in the Shim fix as well <--Explaination here-->.
  4. Last but not least, the best saying since I join Shell, from Chris Jackson, "Always know when your job is done!" ^o^ <--Forget to record down when he said this-->

God bless, hopefully I won't be killed for the proposal :P

0 comments: